BACHKOVO MONASTERY & PLOVDIV
full day Trip
Bachkovo monastery is the second largest monastery in Bulgaria. The monastery was founded in 1083 by Prince Gregory Pakourianos, as a Georgian-dominated Orthodox monastery. The Cathedral Church of the Virgin Mary (dating from 1604) is the place where a valuable icon of the Virgin Mary Eleusa from 1310 is kept. According to the legend, the icon is wonder-working, attracting many pilgrims. Nowadays the monastery is known and appreciated for the unique combination of Byzantine, Georgian and Bulgarian culture.
The eight-millennium long history of Plovdiv gives it the right to be considered a contemporary of early human civilization and one of the most ancient towns in Europe. During the 2nd century AD, Lucian said about it: “This is one of the most beautiful towns you can imagine. Its beauty shines from far away. Brilliant antiquity, middle ages with elements of the Orient, Plovdiv is a crossing point of cultures, epochs and religions.
Take a closer look
- Early morning departure from Borovets.
- Sightseeing tour and free time at Bachkovo monastery.
- Leaving for Plovdiv – enjoy the Old Town with its museums, historical monuments, revival period houses, lined with souvenir shops and cobbled streets. Get impressed by the rich Ethnographic Museum, St. Constantine and Helena church the ancient Roman Theater and much more.
- Free time for lunch and time at leisure in downtown Plovdiv + tips on places worth visiting.
- Departure from Plovdiv and late afternoon return to Borovets.
79 lv. adult price
40 lv. child price
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking on cobbled streets